Fast forward to summer 2013 while on a 2-week vacation across the country to visit family. While spending a sunny day at the lake in upstate New York he washed a harmless cut out with lake water and within days became septic. He spent a number of weeks in hospitals and rehab centers recooperating and learning to walk again after a bout of nerve damage in his legs.
The fall/winter of 2013 brought more out-patient rehab in Houston and a celebration with family over the holidays.
In early 2014 he was rushed back to the hospital for another bout of sepsis which was treated on a heavy regime of antibiotics. A few weeks of hospital treatment and a 10-day stay at a rehab hospital was a set back, but he was released to go home and ready to agressively start his recovery.
In March of 2014 after only two weeks home, he was rushed back to the ER and has been admitted ever since. As of this post (5/6/14), he has under gone:
- Pace maker/ICD removal which resulted in a lab study that revealed bacteria growing on the device
- New pace maker/ICD insertion
- Temporary Impella heart pump which was removed after 3 days and replaced with VAD pumps
- Open heart surgery to insert two VADs (Ventricular Assist Devices) on the left and right side ventricles.
- A second open surgery to clean out excess blood and such from the original open heart.
If anyone deserves a new heart, it is our Pops. The consummate father, husband, son, brother, uncle, and friend. His doctors and nursing staff love tending to him and love his fighting spirit.
This blog was created to obtain a universe filled with prayer warriors and to surround him with love and comfort as he transitions out of his old heart and awaits for his new.
March on Prayer Warriors!